Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blog 10 - Interview 2 Reflection

1. Please explain how you are spending your mentorship time (Is it at a workplace or somewhere else?  Are you shadowing?  Are you able to do tasks that are meaningfully related to the topic?  If so, what?  Are there other people who are experts in the location?  Etc...)
As of right now I have a mentor but I have been unable to regularly meet with him due to my Monday/ Wednesday college class. We have however discussed when I can come and what I will be able to do with him. In the coming months I will sit in his lectures and observe classroom activities and perhaps participate at certain times. Soon he will be directing Urinetown The Musical and I will be able to shadow rehearsals. This will be helpful for me considering my Independent Component is directing a musical for Fullerton. While in the theater department I will be around many professors of the arts. My mentor Giovanni has already introduced  me to a man who specializes in Shakespearian theater performed in non-english speaking countries and I look forward to interviewing him.    

2.  How did you find your mentor?  How did you convince this person to help you?  
I knew Pomona College had a great Theater program and I emailed the head of the department and asked if he knew anyone who's skill set met my needs. He directed me towards Giovanni and after one email explaining to him my project he was happy to help me. I met up with him during the summer and discussed mentorship options and he seemed very happy and excited to help me. During our first meeting he lent me a book on my topic. 

3. How would you rate your comfort level with your mentor at this point in your relationship?  How does this relate to the time you've spent so far at mentorship/with this person?
I am an award person when it comes to people I don't know and I try really hard not to be. My mentor is very kind and supportive and gives me no reason to feel uncomfortable. I know once I spend more time on campus with him I was lose some of my anxiety but for right now our schedules do not match up. 

4. What went well in this interview?  Why do you think so?  What do you still need to improve?  How do you know?  How will you go about it?
I was honestly terrified about my interview 2 because even though I left IPoly an hour and a half before my interview I ended up being an hour late. I had to take the bus and the bus never came. I had no other means of transportation but I was able to alert him that I was going to be extremely late. When I got to the interview I was flustered and embarrassed on how unprofessional I had been. My mentor was very understanding and forgiving and even apologized that i had to take the bus everywhere. He offered me water and told me to take a seat and relax and catch my breath. Even after a few minutes I was still stressed and I went through the interview way faster then I had planned. I am overall happy with the information he gave me but am disappointed in my lack of focus. I stuttered and it was quite a mess. Nonetheless my mentor gave me great information and was extremely understanding and did not seem disappointed at all in having to wait for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment